Monday, June 24, 2013

Lavariya

This is a post dedicated to my cousin Ruwanthi who specifically asked for the how-to. I don't claim to be an expert, only that I have executed the process with some success.  Some, being the operative word. Lavariya as I know it is basically a caramelised coconut wrapped in a string hopper. Great with a cup of good Ceylon tea.

Ingredients

Pani Pol

  • Treacle
  • 1 cardoman pod
  • 3 cloves
  • 1/2 stick of cinnamon 

Lavariya 

  • MDK Stringhopper flour
  • Water

Instructions

Pani pol


Kithul Treacle - available from good Lankan groceries.
I make my pani-pol by heating the kithul treacle in a pan with the spices. 

Once it comes to the boil I simply add the un-sweeted desiccated coconut and stir. 






I leave it on the heat for about 10 minutes until the coconut has absorbed the pani and becomes dark and caramelly. 





Lavariya

I make my string hoppers the cheats way. That is, I get my mum to send me the MDK flour which you mix with cold water and bam....string hoppers....almost. This stuff is so easy to use and  it makes having string hoppers for dinner really simple.


Simple mix the stringhopper flour with enough water to make a sticky dough. I can't give you the exact amount because like all doughs, it varies. But here is a picture of the consistenty I got.








I then scoop it into my stringhopper maker and pipe it onto a circle of baking paper. 







I place a tea spoon full of the cooled pani-pol mixture onto the string-hopper and use the baking paper to fold, making sure the edges are pressed together. 





I then place it on a string-hopper mat and into the steamer for 5 minutes to steam. Yummo!

No comments:

Post a Comment